Saturday, September 5, 2009







Today's photos have nothing in common other than they were taken on a Sunday and the following Monday in mid August when summer seemed eternal. Days of endless cicadas humming and constant thoughts of cold crisp lemonade.

Mariana and Alex reading, the elegant shadows of my 5th Av. subway stairs, clicking at ghosts while waiting at Penn and a shot out my LIRR window to catch the Rockville Centre platform in late day sun.

Last weekend of summer, although the beaches can stay warm into much of September. It is now the height of fall migration as birds move south to survive winter. I'd like to get out to Fire Island and see falcons moving South - right now primarily kestrels and merlins.

Merlins are pugnacious little falcons. I have seen merlins catch more small birds than any other raptor. They seem incapable to fly slowly. Type A behavior.

Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

Mick said...

A vacation day ... run for the hills!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I am enjoying the photos, no matter the subject it seems. Style...

Candace X. Moore said...

John, Just wondering if you exhibit or have representation? Some of your images are over the top.

Also wondering what types of cameras you shoot with. Assuming the lurker is different from the one used for landscapes. Thanks in advance.

John M. Mora said...

Candace,

I have exhibited some in the past - been a while.

All these candids and landscapes are my work blackberry.

Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Oh that does sound heavenly! I love that you love birds too.

Nice to see kids with there noses stuck in books!

white but not snowy said...

Watch out for fast falling white splatters when bird watching. I won't send you those but the birds might. I got that good advice for a kind blogger I know. I don't share that with just anybody you know!

shayndel said...

Love that last one with the turquoise and pinks.
Happy Labor Day weekend! Looks like you've been seeing some great light, fresh air.
bEst