Tuesday, September 22, 2009



The picture is a culmination, no a direction...I often photograph trains arriving and departing and this one is more complex and not strictly based on subject's allure. A return to landscape mode which allows broader compositions. There is less "fill the frame" when composing as one can do in portrait mode. Portrait mode is easier, more predictable and the camera being off axis is less visible. Easier to hold also as I have noted.

5th Av. station around six PM Monday. I could not make the 6:05 train, so I waited one extra train to board.

Flag, movement, bent posture, filtered light....I hope you like it.

I need to shoot more in landscape mode. See some samples, below from Monday.








Penn Station in the morning and the stairs at 5th Av., southbound level.

6 comments:

shayndel said...

The silvery feeling and the flag give the first photo a sense of the first moon landing!
A fitting one for land-scape discoveries.
Happy exploring...

shayndel said...

PS yes, just returned to say there were--birds! Herons, and a few little ones, one fast fly-ing with an irredescent blue stripe on its back, never seen it before! Great place for a picnic.
Thanks for your keen sense of noticing...
And, I just realized the silver of your photo is in keeping with this weeks Japan holidays, called together "Silver Week"
Happy Fall Equinox Day tomorrow, last in the string (quartet...play it again...)

Mick said...

I really like this shot on the stairs!

Irene said...

Yes, I like this mode, John. Keep doing this for a while an we'll see what happens. It's very interesting and gives a whole new point of view. I like the first one of the incoming train very much.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Flying visit...birds do that ya know.

http://tlc.ac.nz/xpress

The article is out....my thanks for the use of your image!

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Love the silvered look that the first image got!