Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Andrea of The Artful Eye had the wise suggestion that I try to salvage something of the paintings for which the scanned images were botched - she suggested aptly that I make a jambalaya.

Fearing some of you might be allergic to shellfish, I am starting with an appetizer - three thin slices of seared blackened red fish on a bed of seasoned okra. Mind you, the colors are off. But you get a sense of "stage two" of my process.





Here is the original image without paint - the print I manipulated was an 8 by 10 C-Print and mostly Golden acrylics were used. The paint was added to the photo print last June when I was working with a Broadway dancer to do a possible show. Project was abandoned, for the good actually.

I have about ten good "paintings," many are 11 by 14, but I feel I would do much better work today.

7 comments:

The Artful Eye said...

Holy carp! I wheeled my mouse right over my name when I saw that eye peeking out and then realized that you had moved on my suggestion. The colors are not off, keep it going. I loveeeeeeeee these.

Irene said...

I feel that here you are being a total anarchist and are throwing all the "laws of proper painting" overboard and are creating something wild and wonderful. Karel Appel worked this way and the bourgeois were horrified.

Trijnie said...

Love these "wild" ones, there is so much to see.

John M. Mora said...

Dankje voor je aardige reactie.

These close-ups actually mislead regarding the finished effect - despite the apparently "wild " process, the paints blend with the photo print and mostly they have an "unreal quality" that is aesthetic and, to me, far from shocking. I sometimes fear my work might be considered too "pretty."

Kris Cahill said...

Love the yellow paint "tossed" on top of the other layers. Looks like you are getting ready to make salad! Seriously, I appreciate seeing this part of the process. None of it looks off to me. Keep on!

Bobbie said...

John, you are on a roll. These are gorgeous. It is amazing to watch you change direction entirely and make something new. Wonderful!

Artists With Artitude said...

You know what, John?? Seafood is my fave and I love the experimentation you are undertaking. So liberating!! Go, John, go!