Monday, April 20, 2009


"pine.lands"

One of my favorite parts of The Everglades is The Pinelands near the park entrance. A few feet above sea level, the area is drier and has pine groves as well as a lot of scrub and undergrowth including palmetto palms. I have seen eastern bluebirds and many species of warblers there. My first barred owl was up in a high old pine, sleeping. Marie and I have come back at night and heard whippoorwills calling.

This, again, sampled mostly from Eduard - Dutch in origin, still there is a hint of a Japanese rhododendron blossom towards the left hand side.

I have not been to Florida for a couple of years.


"detail"

Detail of a cousin along the way:

6 comments:

SusuPetal said...

I'd like to have a wall paper like this, or then I would like to frame then and put them in my boudoir (if I had one).

I just love these, the colors are so delicious.

Mick said...

My new favorite of yours, John. This is thick as a sweet syrup and gorgeous.

Irene said...

They're so lovely, John. You do work miracles for someone who has little time. Bravo.

jgy said...

Wow, how amazing that you can travel like this through your images. And allow us to travel as well thru them. They are like fresh impressions of a wonder-ous place, etched into an ephemeral material.
(could that be? what I mean is that there are parts that feel 'etched' but somehow seeing them on the screen like this their materiality has some kind of magical quality that they only exist in this moment)

PS. Fab.u.lous.pinks.light.and.darks

lebanesa said...

Very painted silk. Gorgeous spring

Jean Levert Hood said...

love it, love it, love it!