Wednesday, October 7, 2009



















Tuesday's commute. Morning at Penn, subway north, then midtown platform in early evening, E train south, and a Babylon line old refurbished railroad car. Many were taken on a ramp from the LIRR western platform towards the Amtrack stairs. Morning rush - everyone wants to leave Penn, but at night commuters need to get there in time and possibly wait for a track announcement. I was waiting for the 7:08 train, well I actually got to Penn just in time to go down to Track 21 quickly and board. Those real late might stand for close to an hour.

I miss the old trains.

I have been listening to Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl." I first heard it on CD in the van (wow, not a pun but a coincidence) and I did not like it. I listened to it again on iPod with headphones and was charmed - it is understated and grounded, as well as honest and sparsely magical. I loved the original album. This is a great re-interpretation.

I loaded the remastered stereo "Magical Mystery Tour" unto my iPod.

"All you need is love, love is all you need."

6 comments:

Mick said...

My never ending fascination with maps makes the photograph that includes the large one of Long Island my favorite in this set.

Irene said...

Vans are not good vehicles to listen to music in. You need a state of the art sports car with surround sound. What's your pleasure?

Kim said...

I love the map photo...it looks like an artwork....so immense ..
ah yes Van Morrison ....wonderful John..
I'll have to keep my eyes open for the CD ...

layers said...

in the 6th one down, the lights are 'dancing'.. and I also like Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

shayndel said...

Map of Long Island, by Jasper Johns, right?! I also like Andy Warhol version, with the little maps of LI all lined up and repeated in different colors:-) I think I saw it in a soup shop once.

lola (another good song)

Anonymous said...

uh... love this text..