Friday, October 9, 2009









Good morning star shine commute - Penn and midtown platform.











I work half a long block from MoMA - back to waterlilies and then a painting room sweep. I felt like I was on yesterday - awake, open. Receptive. Able to see ahead a bit.

Joanne asked if I listen to music while I photograph - generally I do partly because it is what I do, and it distracts me from listening to the camera click and, honestly, it is one more gadget to fidget with so that I am less obvious when standing around waiting for the what Cartier-Bresson called the "decisive moment." I can only feign to look at my watch so often or pretend writing an email. So, sometimes I fiddle with the iPod. And I listen to music.

For the shots above, I listened to the The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. Hell of a "Stella Blue:"

"All the years combine, they melt into a dream,
A broken angel sings from a guitar.
In the end theres just a song comes cryin up the night
Thru all the broken dreams and vanished years.
Stella blue. stella blue." (Garcia, Hunter)

5 comments:

shayndel said...

Thanks for answering my q.
Happy weekend to you!
PS I lightened up my last post, and added some coffee.

Mick said...

Gee ... this set seems very "un-Dead-ly" and hardly suitable as a soundtrack. On the other hand, what in the world can we do with you Daly City boys transplanted to the East Coast?

BTW - tomorrow I'll post my manipulation of this fabulous photograph.

Debi said...

The woman in the blue coat, ascending a staircase (?), just blows me away.

My best, Debi.

John M. Mora said...

One of the great picks of the Dead was taken in 67 or so in Westlake in Daly City. Black and White - they look like thugs.

John Madden came from Daly City.

Gerry is a tragic story. Three keyboard players in the band have also died - one alcohol and two heroin.

The Artist Within Us said...

Your images are very inspirational and lately I have been exploring limited depth of field with my digital SLR. I know at some point I might wish to take it to the street.

In the past I would have focused on a person in the distance and let the rest go slightly soft, but there is such an energy in your Blackberry images that is so exciting, the best word I seem to think of at the moment.

Anyway, have a great weekend.
Egmont