Thursday, December 17, 2009









Variations, drafts - summer (not) in the city. A northern girl, not a Northern Song.

Well East coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the Southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there

The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California girls

The West coast has the sunshine
And the girls all get so tanned
I dig a french bikini on Hawaii island
Dolls by a palm tree in the sand

I been all around this great big world
And I seen all kinds of girls
Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the states
Back to the cutest girls in the world

I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California girls


I took out the last refrain. This song is magical.

Ask Santa to buy ya The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" in Mono if you do not have it. It is truly amazing.

My best.

7 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

any guy who quotes the beach boys is cool in my book!
thanks for visiting my blog! caterina

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Such lovely posts for me to catch up on! Strong work John, really loving your quilts and reading your observations on life. yes you should put the christmas lights up:)

Your quilts really are amazing...

Mick said...

Each of these studies are amazing.

I once drove from Syracuse to Utica, at the height of the British Invasion, to see, not The Rolling Stones, The Animals, or The Kinks ... but to see The Beach Boys. They were terrific.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I like the deep colors in the final version. Nice to see the step wise process. Loved the beach boys - easy to sing along and makes me remember summer.Bar, bar, bar, Bar bar-a-ran...

shayndel said...

I can see these in large size, screens, an art show outside on a boardwalk in the beautiful California Sunshine...
with waves and surfers in the background, and panels left open in your pieces to let the waves be seen thruough your blues...
keep singing! And dancing with your imagery...

Don Coker said...

Great stuff of late, John!

Four Seasons in a Life said...

I can tell you are missing California.

I love the song, just played it a couple of days ago on the iPod.

Sorry I have not been around and i cannot say it is because of the holiday season, just trying to catch up after my LA trip.

I wonder what it would take to see the works considerable larger, hanging on a wall somewhere.

Warmest regards
Egmont