Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Crane Wife, Modern Art and Shopping


Today riding in on Long Island Railroad I listened to an album (CD) by the The Decemberists and I consider it one of the best records in a long time - the entire band plays with full conviction and authority. It is art. I was speechless riding in on a cold dreary morn.

My favorite song is "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)" - yes, a very sad love song (I am a sucker for sad love songs and those chanting of unrequited lust) - but there entire CD is breathtakingly beautiful, yet at times challenging. Remarkable. The tone overall is dark and chilling.

At lunchtime I wondered into the Museum of Folk Art in mid town Manhattan and in the gift shop there was a 33 1/3 RPM vinyl record molded into a bowl. The album was Billy Joel so I will wait to see what other records they get in. Maybe the Clash or Beatles. I love CDs but miss I miss records - even the cracks pops and hisses. There was also something to be said for two sides - two compositions - you had to turn the record over. Each side had an end.

I much prefer the iPod to any cassettes of music I made in the past. My first iPod broke and I cannot bear to throw it out. 20 gigs and broken. I cannot see discarding it. So I do embrace technology - the word is part of my job title, and I also tinker here and with my techno quasi art.

I work across the street from MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) and will start going there regularly. Free admission due to corporate sponsorship. Been to the Photography wing already and to the gift shops. I love museum gift shops. Books, items and the women shopping there sometimes are left of center and poised artistically, always something that I find alluring.

No comments: